How would you like to change the logon screen background in Windows 7 so as to give your Windows a customized look and feel? With a small tweak it is possible to customize the Windows 7 logon screen and set your own picture/wallpaper as the background.
Changing logon screen background in Windows 7 is as simple as changing your desktop wallpaper. Well, here is a step-by-step instruction to customize the logon screen background:
- The image you need to set as the background should be a .jpg file and its size should not exceed 245KB.
- The image resolution can be anything of your choice. However I prefer 1440 x 900 or 1024 x 768. You can use any of the photo editing software such as Photoshop to compress and set the resolution for your image. Once you’re done, save this image as backgroundDefault.jpg.
- You will need to copy this image to the following location:
You will need to create that path if it does not already exist on your computer.
- Now, open the Registry Editor (Start -> Run -> Type regedit) and navigate to the following key:
If the key Background does not exist, then right-click on LogonUI, select New -> Key, and then name it as Background.
Now locate OEMBackground (listed on the right side). If it does not exist, right-click Background and select New -> DWORD and name it OEMBackground.
- Double-click on OEMBackground and set the Value Data to 1.
- Now log-off to see the new logon screen background. If you would like to revert back to the default background, just set the Value Data back to 0.
Using a Tool to Change the Logon Screen Background:
The above steps will give you a detailed instruction on how to change the logon screen background manually. However, there is a nice tool to completely automate the above steps so that you can do everything with just a few mouse clicks!
The tool is called Windows 7 Logon Background Changer from Julien-Manici.com. This small tool is very easy to use and contains a set of preloaded images to choose from or you can set your own desired image as the logon screen background.
I hope you love this post! Pass your comments. Cheers