This article will tell you, how you may show images on your webpage without having the need to store the images using the conversion image to byte array and byte array to image.
The conventional way of including an image on a webpage is to store an image on server or database and give its path on html webpage so that the image is obtained from that place and then shown on the webpage.
This article will help you to show images on your webpage’s without having those images stored in your server or database.
This is all possible because image can be converted into sequence of byte array. And the converted byte array can be used to get back the original image.
This byte array converter can be made easily in Java which we will discuss here. After that we will show how to use that byte array to display image on web page.
First we make a Java program which is going to input an image and then convert it into byte array and then encode it using Base 64 encoding which is standard.
Listing 1: Java code to get byte Array
We give a short description of what is happening in the code ,
- First we explain the import files.
- BufferedImage is used to store the image(in our case icon.png) in a buffer.
- This is used to convert the image in byte array
- File is used to read a file.
- ImageIO is used to write the buffered image into byte output array
- Base 64 is used to encode the byte array obtained in Base 64 encoding.
- The name of the class is Image2Base64 .We define a main function.
- The image to be read is icon.png
- Now we write the buffered image into a ByteArrayOutputStream object with help of ImageIO class so that it can be converted into a byte array
- Now we convert it into byte array.
- Now we encode this using Base64 encoding
- Then we display the byte array for image on screen.Remember the converted byte array strin is a very long string.
- You need to copy this output and then use it in the html webpage to include images(I will show that).Make sure you copy it properly because if anything is missed then image will not be displayed or will be distorted and hence will be of no use.
First we read the image and store it inside a Buffered image variable which is image.
Now we come to HTML part and tell how to show using a byte array.
Listing 2: Web page using byte Array
Here, I have shown the html which will be used.
You can define any title you like. Here I have given it as csanuragjain but you may change that in your webpage so that it may reflect appropriate message to the user.
You just need to copy the output of the java program in the area in Bold. The output would be a very long string like iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAEAAAAA………………
Now , you may store that byte array in your database but remember that this is a very long string.If you want to use it later in your webpage like in php or jsp then just connect with mysql and get the byte array value from there and then put the value obtained in your own html image tag.
Sample Output :
We founded the byte array from the above java programs.It does all the work and at last generates an encoded byte array which could be used easily.
You may make a backup of your image so that you always have the byte array to resemble to your favorite images
This is all for this article. Hope you liked it. See you next time with some new exciting article.